• Written by popular Malaysian-born MasterChef UK contestant, Zaleha Kadir Olpin.
• Features dishes prepared by Zaleha on the MasterChef UK show, as well as other favourite Malaysian dishes.
• Includes step-by-step photos for processes which may not be familiar to those new to Asian cuisine.
• A complete range of dishes for any occasion, from soups and starters, to mains, snacks and desserts.
• With a foreword by Vicki Treadell, former British High Commissioner to Malaysia.
Take a culinary voyage through the vibrant flavours of Malaysia with MasterChef UK contestant, Zaleha Kadir Olpin, as she shares her favourite family recipes in this cookbook.
Malaysian-born Zaleha pays tribute to dishes she grew up with, including laksam, a rolled rice noodle dish unique to the East Coast of Malaysia; nasi lemak, one of Malaysia’s most iconic dishes; as well as chicken rendang, the controversial dish she prepared on the show.
Mostly handed down from her mother and grandmother, Zaleha’s recipes maintain traditional methods of cooking, but are suitable for use in the modern kitchen so you can experience it in all its authenticity. She also shares lessons she learnt growing up in a culinary family, with insights into the importance of food in Malaysian culture. Written from the heart, this book will appeal to anyone looking to expand their flavour repertoire or just wanting to dip their toes into the delightful world of Malaysian cooking.
Zaleha Kadir Olpin is most well-known for being a contestant in MasterChef UK Season 14, where her traditional chicken rendang was criticised by judges for not being crispy, causing her to be eliminated from the competition.
Since then, Zaleha has gained tremendous support from foodies all over the world. Zaleha grew up in Malaysia and was taught to cook traditional Malaysian dishes by her mother from an early age.
Today, Zaleha lives in Bristol, UK, with her husband and their youngest daughter, where she runs the successful Malaysian Kitchen UK with friends. Zaleha also teaches at a cookery school to share the tastes and flavours of Malaysian cuisine with others.