From health and nutrition writer, podcast host, and self-proclaimed health nerd Ashleigh VanHouten comes this entertaining and user-friendly guide to enjoying some of the more adventurous parts of the animal, as well as understanding the value of whole-animal cooking.
There are many great reasons to adopt a truly whole-animal, nose-to-tail approach to eating. It Takes Guts: A Meat-Eater's Guide to Eating Offal with over 75 Healthy and Delicious Nose-to-Tail Recipes is more than a cookbook: it’s about education and understanding that the way we eat is important.
As the saying goes, the way you do anything is the way you do everything. So let’s all approach our plates, and our lives, with a sense of adventure and enthusiasm!
In this book, you will find
- An entertaining introduction into the “offal” world of organ meats, and why it’s more delicious (and less scary) than you may think
- A breakdown of the healthiest and tastiest organ meats, from heart, liver, and kidney to tongue, bone marrow, and blood!
- An interview with a butcher on how to source the best organ meats, including what to look for and ask about
- 75 delicious, fun, and easy recipes that you don’t have to be a chef to prepare
- Plenty of background and personal anecdotes about specific recipes: where they come from, why they’re special, and why you should add them to your meal plan!
- A number of contributed recipes from respected chefs, recipe developers, and fellow health nerds, including the Ben Greenfield family, Beth Lipton, and Tania Teschke
From the author: “I encourage, whenever I can, a little adventure when you eat. One bite of something new won’t hurt you, and it just might open up a whole new world of pleasure and health. By eating nose-to-tail, we’re also honoring and respecting the animals who sacrificed for our dinner plates by ensuring none of it is wasted.”
Ashleigh is a health and nutrition journalist, speaker, podcast host, certified health coach, and self-proclaimed health and fitness nerd.
She has written for Paleo Magazine for more than eight years, as well as a number of other health publications. She hosts the Muscle Maven Radio podcast, and has worked with other top-rated health-related podcasts like Shrugged Collective, Muscle Intelligence, and Paleo MagazIne Radio; her podcast has been downloaded more than 1.5 million times and she's interviewed some of the biggest names in health and wellness including Dave Asprey, Laird Hamilton, Steph Gaudreau, Mark Sisson, and many more.
Combining her formal education and professional experience in marketing and communications with her passion for healthy eating, exercise, and learning, Ashleigh works in a consulting role for a number of professionals in the health and wellness world, working alongside individuals like Elle Russ, Dr. Gabrielle Lyon, and Ben Pakulski.
As a kid, Ashleigh’s two dream jobs were to be an author and an American Gladiator. Now that she’s published her first cookbook, it’s time to suit up and figure out her Gladiator nickname – suggestions welcome!